Pisces – Now that you’ve got those cores, what are you going to do with them?

Another long day of coring… Still, J.P. found some time to show us what he does with the sediment samples he collects.

“Once we bring the multi-corer up, we remove the corers and let them settle for a bit.  Then, using a tape measure, we measure the amount of water and the amount of sediment, and take a sample of the water.  Next, we place the tube on a device that pushes the sediment up, forcing the water out of the top of the tube.  After that, we scoop and scrape the top inch or so (which is the part we’re most interested in for this expedition) into a jar, which we label and seal to be shipped to a lab onshore.  Then, we rinse the tubes out, put them back on the frame and we’re ready to go again.”

Pushing the water out of a core sample

J.P. Walsh pushes the water out of a core sample

When the cores come up, you can see a few inches of brown, runny mud on top, and gray stuff on bottom.  The gray stuff, it turns out, is actually clay.  J.P. took a few samples of this clay to use for his own research.  He uses techniques such as radiocarbon dating to study properties of these deep-sea sediments.

Some of us, on the other hand, think this clay is kind of fun to play with.  It’s not every day that you see clay from 2,000 meters beneath the sea.

Figures made from core sample clayLater in the evening we deployed the tow camera again.  We’ll tell you more about it in a future post.

This entry was posted in Pisces, Sediment Sampling and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Pisces – Now that you’ve got those cores, what are you going to do with them?

1. So you go from, Wow, what an amazing, unique find, to hey, let’s make a penguin with it? Neat:)

2. I wish I could get involved with something like that. Sounds like I need to browse this blog and see exactly what you are up to!

3. CrystalSpins says:

LOL. I love it. I would totally play with the clay too.

Crystal

4. Brilliant! You should sell it to serious potters!!!

Thanks for blogging and congrats on getting being Freshly pressed!

5. Ah man! I wish I had the idea of playing the the cores I’ve dealt with. Not many, mind you…but still. Would have made for a fun time.

6. samwalton101 says:

Would i ask a question? I’m a fresh trader, and sometimes i’m getting some advertisemen about http://www.forexeclipse.com. It made 20% in 2 weeks,Is it a wonderful news? offering free Expert Advisor contest ? , this softwares are really getting that profit?

7. savingflorida says:

Okay, crazy question, but when the corers are put in how does that happen? Is there an auger or something? Also, how does the sample stay in the tube while you’re trying to retrieve it?

8. Pingback: Pisces – Now that you’ve got those cores, what are you going to do with them? (via NOAA Mission Log) « The Veg Projects

9. usha says:

has anyone tried using the residual sediment as a facepack? best mudpack treatment i ever had was using sediment from a 4500 m core in the Arabian Sea.

10. Fahmi says:

whew,, creative… using sample for that…

11. Walsh Girls says:

Awesome! Can you bring some clay home for show-n-tell?! I love that the clay figures have recieved the most comments!

12. maxdeemo says:

Loved your blog and must pass it on to geologist family members….just a thought, does this mean that people who do core samples of the Antarctic ice make ice carvings out of them….;-)

13. noaashippisces says:

Savingflorida: The tubes are driven into the sediment by the 2000 lbs of weight on the column above them. When the multi-corer is lifted off the sea floor, a device is triggered that puts caps on the tops of the tubes. Think of what happens when you put your finger over the top end of your soda straw and lift it out of your glass – the same forces that keep the soda in the straw keep the cores in the tubes. Still, we cap the bottom ends once we get the multi-corer out of the sediment, just in case.

14. Alex says:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post and looking at those pictures. It’s interesting to see that scientists can have fun too. They are always displayed as super serious an boring people, but you proove that that’s false.
    Keep it up!

15. beyondanomie says:

Good to know all those taxpayer dollars aren’t going to waste… ;)

16. eurybe08 says:

Now that’s a pretty rad way to release stress. Thanks for sharing the post and idea.

17. Jake says:

hahaha, interesting, love the clay by the way/

18. Yeah, like Ana said, you should sell it? lol.

19. I wish I could get involved with something like that. Sounds like I need to browse this blog and see exactly what you are up to!

20. The content of this blog satisfied me. Some things come really usefull to keep in mind for setting up my own blog about a traplift http://trapliften-traplift.nl and let people leave usefull comments for other users who visit.

21. ashleyfenn65 says:

It is great to hear of this project. As I used to live in Takoma Park, I still consider it home. Flower Avenue is such a great main street for Takoma Park because it incorporates so many variations of what comprises Takoma Park. Particularly given
    NRAS
    the space limitations and the extensive tree canopy, it would be great if the utilities could be buried to eliminate the telephone poles. It would contribute to the attractiveness of the street as well. I wonder if there is grant funding available for that project.

Best of luck. I look forward to seeing the results.